There are many misconceptions among people regarding energy savings. Many people till date are living in an illusion that by just driving less or lowering the thermostat and turning lights off are the only methods for saving energy, whereas many are not even bothered. Though these methods also reduce the use of energy, but at a very small scale. An Increase in the efficiency of energy savings can be done by switching to energy efficient electrical appliances and means of transport, obtaining power from a renewable source and making smart purchases. Having knowledge of the consumption of energy by all your electrical appliances will help you reduce the usage. Not all the replacements of electrical appliances have a positive return on investment, so purchasing things with full energy audit will help you in a long run, for this you can take advice from an commercial electrician Sydney CBD.
Let us discuss 5 biggest misconceptions on energy saving from many:
- Using a Little Or No Electricity at Home: If you replace electricity with natural gas or petroleum for your all home needs, then you must be shocked to know that a typical home furnace burns about 100,000 BTUs per hour which is equivalent to keeping 300 100-watt bulbs lit for an hour. So this is a major misconception that electricity should be replaced with natural gas or petroleum, since they both are limited resources.
- Insulations are all same: The performance of insulation is highly dependent on the quality of installation. A small gap as small as a quarter of an inch between the wall framing and the batts are enough to create a drastic reduction in the insulation ability. Fiber Glass batts are commonly used insulations for homes.
- Energy Efficiency is Expensive: Though energy efficiency is an investment not an expense, people have a mindset that energy efficient products are quite expensive then their counterparts. Since the initial costs are higher, but the long term cost is very small, so people must understand the difference between long term and short term costs.
- Leaving Your Computer On Power Save Mode : People usually think that turning their computer systems in to power saving mode will conserve energy, but this is a misconception because if the computer is in use or not it consumes the electricity. So next time you are not using your PC , shut it down.
- Using Space Heaters Would Reduce Heating Costs: Space heaters consume much energy for its processing, the better option is to decrease the thermostat levels to a minimum of 2 degrees and maintain its temperature in and around 20 degrees. And the easiest method would be wearing warm clothes when the temperature is lower. Do not immediately keep the heaters to a high level as soon as you on them, that may use tremendous energy.
These are only a few main misconceptions people have grown among themselves. Whenever you find a need of an audit for energy saving call our emergency electrician.